Saturday, May 28, 2011

Romans 12



Romans 12 (The Message)
4-6 In this way we are like the various parts of a human body. Each part gets its meaning from the body as a whole, not the other way around. The body we're talking about is Christ's body of chosen people. Each of us finds our meaning and function as a part of his body. But as a chopped-off finger or cut-off toe we wouldn't amount to much, would we? So since we find ourselves fashioned into all these excellently formed and marvelously functioning parts in Christ's body, let's just go ahead and be what we were made to be, without enviously or pridefully comparing ourselves with each other, or trying to be something we aren't.
6-8 If you preach, just preach God's Message, nothing else; if you help, just help, don't take over; if you teach, stick to your teaching; if you give encouraging guidance, be careful that you don't get bossy; if you're put in charge, don't manipulate; if you're called to give aid to people in distress, keep your eyes open and be quick to respond; if you work with the disadvantaged, don't let yourself get irritated with them or depressed by them. Keep a smile on your face.
14-16 Bless your enemies; no cursing under your breath. Laugh with your happy friends when they're happy; share tears when they're down. Get along with each other; don't be stuck-up. Make friends with nobodies; don't be the great somebody.
17-19 Don't hit back; discover beauty in everyone. If you've got it in you, get along with everybody. Don't insist on getting even; that's not for you to do. "I'll do the judging," says God. "I'll take care of it."
20-21 Our Scriptures tell us that if you see your enemy hungry, go buy that person lunch, or if he's thirsty, get him a drink. Your generosity will surprise him with goodness. Don't let evil get the best of you; get the best of evil by doing good.

I have a situation at work. I don’t understand why someone treats me the way they do, it seems like they are out to get me and are always looking for something to get me in trouble for. I prayed on the way home one day this week, and I forgave the person. I felt God’s peace about the situation. When I got home, I started reading Romans 12:14… “Bless your enemies; no cursing under your breath.”
Instantly, I felt bad for being upset. I was mad at this person because I felt they had wronged me for no reason.  Yet, God put it so simple how we should treat someone who is an “enemy”… “Bless our enemies.” He also tells us not to get even, to leave it to him, and he will take care of it. God amazes me! He always gives you just exactly what you need or allows you to read in his word exactly what you need to hear. 

Reading Romans 12, I became convicted about how I live my life and how I treat people. It is amazing to me that God laid it out so plainly how we are supposed to live our life.  I want to let this be my daily prayer, and to change my view and my way of thinking. I know I’m not perfect, but I’m thankful that God is still working on me.

Simeon Costa is at our church right now, training people on “Life Studies”. He taught our College and Career Bible Study this past Sunday. He taught out of Genesis on Jacob. And the one point that stuck out to me, was this:
God allows trials and situations to happen in your life to teach us to depend on him through everything.  Sometimes, in the midst of situations we will pray, “God change this person who has done me wrong” or “God change the situation”, but instead why don’t we ask “God change ME through this situation.”  Jacob wouldn’t let go of the Angel until God changed HIS name. That has been with me all week! God, I want you to change me, and teach me to depend on you through whatever situation comes my way.
I feel like God directed my attention to this chapter of Romans, to change ME through my situation this week.  My attitude has changed, and I can feel a difference in the way I’m thinking about things.

I challenge you to study this chapter of Romans and examine your own life and how you live daily, and see how God changes you and your attitude.

Hope everyone has an awesome Memorial day weekend. Don’t forget to honor the men and women who have fought and continue to fight for our freedom. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

DESIGNED WITH LOVE BY BDD